SCOM 413: Digital Production for Communicating Science
This paper nurtures the student's ability to write about science in creative and engaging ways as well as covering the skills needed to publish and package such writing in digital formats for best effect.
- To examine a history of digital production techniques.
• To examine the use of digital production techniques to enhance communication.
• To explore ways of using digital production techniques (especially those associated with photography, filmmaking, digital book production, websites and podcasting) to enhance communication of science.
• To develop critiquing skills for critically examining digital productions on the basis of their effectiveness at communicating science.
Examples of components of this paper:
- What is Digital Production
- Convergence of Publishing
- Writing Blogs
- e-books and iAuthor
- Digital photography for publishing
- Mechanics of publishing an e-book
- Filmmaking for digital publications
- Book design
Examples of practical exercises associated with this paper:
- Learn how to produce an e-book.
- Write and publish a blog on an area of science.
- Learn photographic techniques and process ing of digital images for publication.
- Learn how to make digital videos using DSLRs
- Learn how to interview.
Available ONLY to students enrolled in a Master of Science Communication (MSciComm) degree.